The Steering Committee, is the College’s key decision- making body.Its role and responsibilities are clearly defined within the council decision (CFSP 2016/2382), and include, among others, the following:
A. OrganizationThe Steering Committee is composed of one representative appointed by each Member State. and is chaired by a representative of the HR who has appropriate experience. Representatives from countries acceding to the Union have the ability to attend the Steering Committee’s meetings as active observers. The Head, other ESDC staff, the Chairperson of the Board and when appropriate the Chairpersons of its different configurations as well as a representative of the Commission and other EU Institutions, including the EEAS can participate in the meetings of the Steering Committee, but without the right to vote.
B. Tasks and responsibilities
- approve and keep under regular review the ESDC training and education activities reflecting the agreed ESDC training and education requirements;
- approve the annual academic programme of the ESDC;
- select and prioritise the training and education activities to be run under the ESDC, taking into account the resources available to the ESDC and the training and education requirements identified;
- select the Member State(s) hosting the ESDC training and education activities and the institutes conducting them;
- decide on opening specific ESDC training activities and education to third-country participation within the general political framework set by the Political and Security Committee;
- adopt the curricula for all ESDC training and education activities;
- take note of the course evaluation reports and the general annual report on ESDC training and education activities and adopt the recommendations therein, to be forwarded to the relevant Council bodies;
- provide overall guidance to the work of the Board and appoint the Chairpersons of the Executive Academic Board and its different configurations;
- take the necessary decisions with regard to the functioning of the ESDC in so far as these are not attributed to other bodies;
- approve the annual budget and any amending budget, acting on proposals from the Head;
- approve the annual accounts and give a discharge to the Head;
- approve additional rules applicable to expenditure managed by the ESDC;
- approve any financing agreement and technical arrangements with the Commission, the EEAS, a Union Agency or a Member State regarding the financing or the implementation of the ESDC’s expenditure;
- contribute to the selection process of the Head.
Steering Committee Support
Christoforos Christoforou Since 2000, he has worked for the Cyprus Ministry of Defence, drawing on his military background in the Armed Forces to become a national expert in security and defence training. His primary responsibilities include planning, managing, and delivering training courses and activities as part of the European Initiative for the Exchange of Young Officers (inspired by Erasmus), coordinating the Military Erasmus configuration, and overseeing EAB and Steering Committee meetings. He is passionate about developing a European cultural awareness in the area of security and defence, and is committed to promoting collaboration and exchange between young officers across Europe. With his extensive experience in the field, he is well-equipped to facilitate training and educational programs that enhance the skills and expertise of military personnel in the region.